Jump To Navigation
401(k), Stocks & Pensions

Dividing 401 (k) Plans, Stock and Pensions in a Divorce

If you are getting a divorce, you are entitled to receive a fair amount of the investment assets that accumulated during your marriage. Investment assets can include retirement accounts (both qualified and nonqualified), 401 (k) assets, stocks, bonds and pensions. Valuation and division of these assets can be highly complex, requiring the help of an experienced divorce attorney.

The lawyers at the Law Offices of Ronald M. Bookholder in Troy, Michigan, have more than 50 years of combined experience handling high-asset divorces involving the division of substantial assets and debts. We will apply our years of experience and legal skills focused on helping you achieve a settlement in your best interests. We understand you have worked hard throughout your marriage and you deserve your fair share of any retirement and investment assets that accrued during it.

Contact our firm today to schedule an appointment with an experienced divorce lawyer. We are available to discuss the valuation of 401(k) assets, stocks, bonds, pensions, retirement accounts and other investments. Our legal team is committed to representing clients in Oakland County, Wayne County and Macomb County.

What Are You Entitled To?

Generally speaking, you are entitled to your fair share of any assets that were accumulated throughout the course of your marriage, including but not limited:

  • 401 (k), 403 (b) assets and other deferred compensation
  • IRAs
  • Stocks
  • Stock options
  • Bonds
  • Pensions

Any marital assets will be subject to an equitable distribution between you and your divorcing spouse. Our firm'../CM/Custom/Attorneys.asp">divorce attorneys may work closely with forensic accountants to determine the extent of assets in a marital estate. Part of our focus includes understanding how assets were handled during the marriage. Any separate property assets (i.e. inheritance, premarital assets or gifts) may not subject to an equitable distribution. We have the skills and resources to help secure your right to maintain your separate property.

Property division is highly complex, requiring in-depth mathematical and legal knowledge. There are also different approaches that need to be taken into consideration. For instance, qualified plans can be separated between spouses, while a nonqualified plan'../PracticeAreas/Spousal-Support.asp">spousal support or other property could be used to bridge the gap in assets, still ensuring an equitable property division.

Contact Our Divorce Settlement Attorneys in Oakland County, Michigan

You have worked hard and contributed to your marriage. You deserve your fair share of the assets that accumulated. To discuss your legal options with an experienced family law attorney, contact the Law Offices of Ronald M. Bookholder online or call us toll free at 877-502-7892. We are committed to representing clients in Oakland County, Wayne County and Macomb County.

Contact Us

NOTE: Labels in bold are required.

Contact Information
  1. disclaimer.

1111 West Long Lake Rd.
Suite 202
Troy, Michigan 48098
TF. 877-502-7892
P. 248-686-1659
F. 248-641-0109
E. Email Us